Monday 5 August 2013

Crafted Comfort

To me, design is about the simplicity and quality of a product. A very talented Graphic Designer once told me that minimal is best, and I agree Dad, you're spot on.




As an aspiring footwear designer I am learning what areas in the shoe industry inspire me - and to be honest, it's a pair of men's boots like these - that are simple in design with a hint of something different.

These desert boots are made from a high quality leather known as nubuck - it's thick and has a beautiful finish on both sides, which is why I wanted to make this pair without lining. I hand-cut leather laces to follow the 'raw finish' theme. 







Once the upper is ready to place on the last, instead of pulling the leather under and hammering it to the last, the upper is flared out. The sole is then hand-stitched to the upper, which is also known as the 'veldskoen' technique. It does take a lot of time and hard work - but the finished product is worth it. 















1 comment: